Saturday, 25 February 2012

My last few weeks at the QMHA

So for the last month I've been back in the QMHA, doing two weeks of internal medicine, one week in neurology, and one week in oncology. I must say that for the most part I've enjoyed these rotations -- Medicine was quite busy, and although I spent most of my time in cat ward, it was a good rotation because you never know what you're going to get! The neurology team at our school is quite funny, and made a rather daunting topic seem more approachable. They also made the long-ass surgeries go buy quickly! Out of all the surgeries that I've observed during my time in school, the neurology surgeries were the coolest. It's not everyday you get to see a spinal cord up close -- and pulsating due to compression! Nerdy, I know. Oncology was pretty cool too. To be honest, I don't think that I was ever a fan of chemotherapy and stuff like that, however, after this rotation I'd definitely reconsider it when it comes to animals. I found that most clients were concerned with the side effects -- they think it'll be the same as it is with people. However, since veterinary oncologists use less intensive protocols it's not as bad. I have to admit, there were a few sad cases -- good owners and good pets = bad prognosis (that's the way it seems anyways) -- but there were a few animals that really did get some extra time. 

Next stop is Settle, North Yorkshire, where I'm off to get some farm EMS done with!
Busy, busy, busy: Despite the longer days I wasn't getting out until it was dark out :(







No comments:

Post a Comment